The Head Chef for La Canita East side is responsible for the overall success of the food service operation. The chef is responsible for understanding and adhering to health and safety regulations, as well as La Carnita standard and expectations for food quality, freshness and presentation. In this position, the Head Chef is responsible for overseeing the sanitation and safety of all kitchens, while ensuring that all kitchen employees produce quality food product and meeting financial and budgetary goals. A Chef in this role solves problems professionally, rapidly and reasonably, and maintains a good work ethic, supports the management team and fosters a sense of teamwork and cooperation within the group.
• Plan menus and ensure food meets quality standards
• Plan and direct food preparation and cooking activities
• Supervise activities of sous-chefs, cooks and kitchen staff.
• Estimate food requirements and costs.
• Prepare and cook food on a regular basis
• Create new recipes
• Instruct cooks in preparation, cooking, garnishing and presentation of food
• Follow proper time-keeping policies and procedures.
• Work with Sous Chef in developing and training direct reports.
• Recommend or conduct disciplinary action, including termination, of the culinary team when necessary according to company standards.
• Work with the Director of Operations to develop and conduct ongoing training for chefs, cooks and kitchen assistants
• Conduct hands-on teaching and training in the kitchen, working closely with chefs and cooks, and other staff as applicable who work in BOH, and help with food preparation and execution.
• Works with the management team to ensure that all display, catering and culinary set up meet standards
Experience: minimum experience of 3 years. Knowledge and experience with Mexican and/or Latin American cuisine of at least one (1) year.
Salary: $47,000 per year
Permanent. Full Time/ 44 Hours per week
Start date: immediately
Education: Post-secondary diploma.
Employer’s business address/Location of employment: 780 Queen St. E.
Toronto, ON, M4M 1H4
Please apply By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org